Week 2: Overview of Social Media

I think most social media sites seemed geared towards personal use. Specifically Instagram, FaceBook, Pinterest, Twitter, SnapChat, etc. because the user is able to share personal beliefs, photos, and events amongst other information. 
LinkedIn would be the one site that may work best for business only practices because it shares professional work experience and contacts and no personal photos or information about family or other personal life facts. 

Instagram, FaceBook, Pinterest, Twitter, SnapChat, etc. could work well for both personal and professional use. The content would just have to be more professional in a business setting, possibly include hashtags for the company, professional photos and less personal information. But overall it depends on how much personal information the company wants to share. With YouTube videos of people sharing personal journeys of plastic surgery for example, or bloggers testing products, things can get pretty personal. 

Comments

  1. Hi Maria!
    LinkedIn was most definitely made with business in mind. Your personal profiles should be strictly business and not contain anything that is not considered professional. I liked reading your post because you really thought it through about what social media was strictly business. When I had wrote on my blog this week, I was confused with the third question because I felt like it was a repetitive question. Now that I had read your post it would have made more sense to have included LinkedIn. Nice post!
    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, well written thoughts and you bring up a great point. There is some risk in utilizing the most common platforms for business use, as they leave a lot of room to lack professionalism. On the flip side LinkedIn screams professionalism. LinkedIn does seem the best platform for networking, hiring and referring. But I don' t think it is the best platform for a business to reach it's target audience. Seems a balancing act is required and the discretion in content as you mentioned is vital for business' reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria!

    I definitely agree with you that most social media sites tend to get pretty personal. Especially with sites like Facebook. Often times I believe people share things that they wouldn't want to be a part of any business aspect of their lives. However, I also agree that, if used right, they can double as great tools for success.

    -Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there's some gray area of constitutes the personal platform and what is the professional platform within some social media platforms. I think it truly relies on the user and how he or she filters or doesn't filter the content. I personally don't like how some Facebook user's vent out their frustrations in a long Facebook post, but then again I'm the type of person who chooses to highlight my brighter moments. Moreover if I feel like I need to vent, I will reach to specific people to talk to and not lay it out all over social media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria! I agree with you 100% with what you said about LinkedIn. I think it's one of the few platforms that specialize in only one (business or personal). In LinkedIn's case it's business! Snapchat- personal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts